I Survived an Organic Juice Cleanse

School of Medicine

Running a fitness blog has its perks, like getting samples of healthy foods.  Recently, I tried a one-day raw, organic juice cleanse from Urban Remedy, a small business from San Rafael, in Marin County.  Although I love making green smoothies (my favorite combines avocado, grapes, pears, broccoli and spinach), I never thought about undertaking a liquid cleanse. 

But, hey, if a trendy brand wants to give me a full day’s supply of meals and snacks, I may as well try it. If worst comes to worst, I can just supplement with solid food. I decided on Urban Remedy’s Signature Cleanse for a single day.

This consisted of six individually packaged juices, which were to be spaced two hours apart. Urban Remedy prefers cleansing with just its juices, but suggests eating raw vegetables and drinking water if you feel hungry. How did it go? Would I do it again?

Keep on reading to find out!

Why did I do it?

I was curious, and it sounded like a challenge. Also, I wanted to form an opinion about the popular trend, backed by personal experience. A lot of my readers ask about cleanses, and I would feel more empowered to talk about the subject if I had some experience. Also, the juices sounded delicious.

Did I have any doubts?

Yes! I was scared that I’d get hungry and have trouble focusing. I oftentimes get “hangry,” meaning hungry and angry. I thought I might lose my patience, fail to exercise or binge on solid food after the cleanse. I also didn’t want to haul around jars of perishable juice all day.

What did I drink?  

All six drinks were tasty and fresh.

1.     Brainiac: Celery, cucumber, parsley, spinach and lemon

2.     Time Machine: Acai, lemon juice, cayenne, water and stevia

3.     Flush: Cucumber, ginger, lemon and mint juice[VE1] , apple

4.     After Party: Beetroot, carrot, ginger, apple and lemon

5.     Warrior: Chia seeds, raspberries and stevia

6.     Relax: Cashew milk with vanilla and cinnamon

These are pressed drinks with no added sugar. Stevia is a natural calorie-free sweetener. All six totaled about 1,100 calories, which is under the lowest calorie recommendation for people aiming to lose weight (1,200 for women, 1,400 for a man).

Honestly, a single day cleanse will not hurt you. Heck, it may even help some of us de-bloat after a week of eating salty Panda Express and Carmelina’s. However, it’s not enough nutrition for a healthy, sustainable diet. I would think twice about committing to a cleanse for longer than three days.

As for the juices themselves, they were all good, but my favorites were the After Party and the Relax. The root vegetable and ginger combination in After Party created a spicy-sweet taste. The Relax was a smooth cashew milk similar to a richer and nuttier horchata. It’s also the only drink with a significant amount of protein.

How did I feel?

Because I drank the juices every two hours, I rarely felt hungry. Sometimes, I didn’t even finish my current drink before it was time to have my next one. Each drink is 12 ounces., so you’re drinking a lot of liquid, which stretches your stomach and makes you feel full. 

The only time I felt uncomfortable was after my first juice of the day. I drank the “Brainiac” during lecture, and there couldn’t be a worse name for it. This is a 90-calorie vegetable juice with only some vitamins and natural sugars.

I was pretty hungry, missed my hearty bowl of oatmeal, and had a hard time concentrating. I suggest that Urban Remedy pack their breakfast drink with more protein and fiber.

However, by the time I was at juice No. 6, I was full and satisfied. My one-day cleanse was rather fun, because I had something new to try every couple of hours.

What were the effects?

The next day, I lost 2 pounds (of water weight), which I gained back after a day of normal eating. My jaw was more relaxed because I hadn’t chewed anything for a day. I have jaw pain from TMJ (temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders), a group of conditions that cause pain and dysfunction in the jaw joint and the muscles that control jaw movement. 

I actually woke up the next day pretty energized and motivated to eat healthy, simple and fresh foods. My initial worries had not become reality. I felt satiated for the most part, so I didn’t gorge on solid food or turn “hangry.” Overall, I went through a typical day in medical school fine, and even had the energy to do a short run.

Would I do it again?

Well, Urban Remedy is expensive. A one-day supply of juices is $60 plus shipping. So I definitely will not buy this for myself. However, I would consider doing something similar if I ever get into an unhealthy eating rut or need to quickly get rid of bloating after days of consuming salty foods.

Also, I think eating more soups and liquid foods would help me manage my TMJ better. I’m glad I did it and survived to tell the tale.