fitness

Sign up for Fitness & Fun

Monday, October 3, 2016

From keeping fit and meeting new friends with group fitness classes to chasing home run balls in McCovey Cove from your kayak, there are a multitude of reasons UC San Francisco students should become premier members with UCSF Fitness & Recreation.

All UCSF students receive standard membership to both the Mission Bay and Parnassus fitness centers for free. For an additional $25 a month, students can enroll in premier membership which provides unlimited Group X classes, shower and pool towel service, and three hours of free validated parking daily at Mission Bay.

“There is no better deal in the city for group fitness classes,” said UCSF student Sarah Woods. “For what you get, the minimal cost to go premier is worth it.”

Woods regularly attends Spinning and BodyPump classes and has her favorite fitness instructors.

“To supplement my cardio I love doing BodyPump. It’s a little bit silly, weight lifting to pop music in a group, but it’s a great way to build long, lean muscle and I like the community.”

Woods encourages new UCSF students to use the fitness centers.

“The gym at UCSF has become a second home to me and a place where I can put my stress down and have fun for a little bit. I always feel more confident and resilient when I leave.”

Another popular option for students who want to take advantage of the world-class outdoor destinations in this area is the Rec Pass. Students can purchase a pass for $69, which is good from July 1 through June 30.

It covers backpacking and camping trips to Big Sur and Yosemite along with day hikes to the Marin Headlands, Point Reyes and the San Mateo coastline. Students can also participate in kayaking and stand up paddling, including trips to McCovey Cove during Giants games.

Former student Nick Collins wrote a letter to UCSF Chancellor Sam Hawgood describing how the program enriched his time at the university.

“Through the program, I’ve camped in six different sites, met students and post-docs from various schools and made a few friends that have made student life at UCSF much more enjoyable.”

Collins also illustrated how the program helped him maintain balance in his life despite his rigorous academic schedule.

“Incorporation of non-traditional programs such as the outdoor program helps maintain optimal health and balance for all students – I can’t tell you how refreshed I feel after coming back from an outdoor trip after a week of exams!”

The Rec Pass also covers sports leagues offered at both Mission Bay and Parnassus. They include volleyball, basketball, and futsal.

For more information, go to Fitness & Recreation.