humans_131

Humans Of UCSF: Life Best Lived

Thursday, January 26, 2017

“I go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 5. I try to eat healthy and to avoid eating out on the weekdays at all costs. People laugh at me saying, ‘girl relax, eat what you want, and just live life”. But that is exactly what I am doing: I am living life the best I can.

Most of my childhood was spent in hospitals. I spent days getting stuck with needles, throwing up because I couldn't keep the medicine down, countless surgeries and nights in bed rest. I missed a lot of school and was subsequently an average student at best. I didn't have any friends because I was never present to make any. One night, I was driving home and suddenly came to consciousness, stopped at a gas station, and ran into their bathroom. I had dried blood all over my face and my head hurt. I looked back and found my head had been shaved and I had a square of stitches.

Then I remembered: I was coming back from the UCSF Hospital. I participated in a doctor’s clinical trial and it had saved my life. This was what caused UCSF to become my dream school, what made me decide to be healthy because now I finally have control over my health.

Today, I eat healthy because my health is in my hands and I now have the power to make a difference in the health of others.”

Joti Love, UCSF School of Dentistry D2