Joy Chang

Joy Chang: Candidate for Vice President, Community Relations

Thursday, March 14, 2013

My name is Joy Chang, and I am a second-year dental student at UCSF. I am writing for consideration for the position of Vice President of Community Relations in ASUC.

For the past two years, I have had the privilege of calling UCSF my home. Whether being a part of the student body or actively leading a student group, I have enjoyed the exchange of ideas and knowledge among students from diverse backgrounds.

As future health care providers and leaders in the community, I have found this immensely important for interprofessional collaboration and communication. I wish to have the opportunity to foster such an intellectual exchange at UCSF as the Vice President of Community Relations.

I believe I possess the qualities and experience to successfully fulfill this role. I am currently the Editor-in-Chief of the John C. Greene Society, which is the dental research society. Under my guidance, our publication won an award for the best newsletter from the American Association of Dental Research.

This experience has given me the skills to communicate effectively across various media with the community, which will prepare me to act as a liaison with the Synapse newspaper and write reports on any ASUC updates.

In addition, as the President of the American Association of Women Dentists’ chapter at UCSF I was in charge
of coordinating and promoting various events to the student body. Through this, I have demonstrated my ability to publicize student activities, and encourage participation from as many from the student body as possible.

I am passionate about my goals, and I always work my hardest to exceed my expectations. Should I be elected as the Vice President of Community Relations, I will strive to achieve the following goals.

Firstly, I wish to increase student involvement in interprofessional activities from each school. We would inevitably work closely alongside one another in the future, due to the multi-faceted and more interdisciplinary nature of health care today. By closer interaction with each other, either to exchange ideas or to network, we can better prepare for our future.

Secondly, I plan to improve transparency between ASUC and the student body, through increased communication. I would ensure that all students are informed of executive decisions and plans through the Synapse, emails or by updating the website. I would also ensure that all voices and opinions are heard by ASUC, by starting an open forum where students could express their ideas, in order to better serve all students.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to the opportunity of being more involved with the ASUC, and I sincerely hope you will consider me for the position of Vice President of Community Relations.