Picture of women at Yosemite's Half Dome

Paying it Forward: Liver Life Challenge

Thursday, March 6, 2014

I began my nursing career at UCSF's Adult Transplant Unit on 9 Long. We care for patients either receiving or donating a kidney, liver or pancreas.  I am privileged to work with patients diagnosed with liver disease who are either being evaluated as a candidate to become a liver transplant recipient, have received a transplant and are recovering from surgery, or are post-transplant and experiencing complications that require hospitalization.

I am humbled daily by the courage our patients show when faced with the challenges of a diagnosis of end stage liver disease, the patience and hope they possess when waiting to receive a transplant, the will and determination it takes to recover from the extensive surgery as well as the life changes and skills that must be learned and adhered to in order to successfully survive and thrive as a recipient of a solid organ transplant.

Climbing Shasta has been a goal of mine for many years.  Growing up in Sonoma County, I was fortunate to be surrounded by a beautiful landscape that I thoroughly explored and felt connected to both physically and spiritually. My love for nature and outdoor activities led me to develop many hobbies, including but not limited to hiking and mountaineering.

As a transplant RN, it is with great honor to contribute my time and energy to raise awareness and money for the growing prevalence of liver disease. Liver disease affects 1 in 10 Americans, and it is of paramount importance to properly fund research and educate the public. Help me to help 30 million Americans.

A world free of liver disease! That is why I am participating in the Liver Life Challenge. The Liver Life Challenge is an endurance sports training program that helps people like me train for a race while supporting the mission of the American Liver Foundation.

Every step I take and every dollar I raise will make a difference in the lives of more than 30 million Americans living with liver disease.

Did you know:

• Liver cancer is one of the few primary cancers on the rise in the United States.
  • Approximately 5.4 million Americans are chronically infected with hepatitis B or hepatitis C. About 65 percent and 75 percent, respectively, are unaware that they are infected.
  • It is estimated that up to 25 percent of the U.S. population could have Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease—a condition that can lead to life-threatening damage.

By making a donation on my behalf, you will be helping the Foundation provide community-based education, research, support and advocacy related to help prevent and treat liver disease. Together we can make a difference and it's as simple as helping me reach my fundraising goal.

To donate, click the "Donate" button on this page:

http://go.liverfoundation.org/site/TR/LiverLifeChallenge2014/LiverLifeChallenge?px=1877441&pg=personal&fr_id=4000

Please send offline, non-cash donations to:
American Liver Foundation, 39 Broadway,  Suite 2700, New York, NY 10006
*Please be sure to include the Challenge Participant's name with your check.
All registration fees and donations for this event are nonrefundable.

Thank you for supporting the Mt. Shasta Climb 2014 on June 13-16, 2014!