So You’ve Made It to UCSF: What’s next?
Right now, you are probably overwhelmed by the frantic bustle of back-to-school week, wondering where your next classroom is, looking for a study buddy, and watching your summer earnings evaporate in rental or textbook costs. (Hopefully you’re also still basking in the pride of having made it to UCSF!) But in a few months, once you’ve settled in the routine of classes, exams, and endless shuttle or elevator rides, you might well ask yourself: What’s next? What comes after UCSF, and how do I prepare for it? That’s when you’ll want to turn to the Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD).
The OCPD helps students from all UCSF schools hone their academic or professional skills, decide on a career path, and prepare for a successful job hunt.
- Are you a pharmacy student looking for an internship? A dentistry student preparing a research poster? The OCPD staff can help you polish your resume or craft an outstanding poster presentation.
- Are you a graduate student interested in teaching? The OCPD organizes teacher training and teaching opportunities.
- Are you going to a professional meeting and unsure about how to put a talk together, or how to network with strangers? The OCPD runs workshops on slide presentations, and on networking at conferences.
- Are you trying to figure out how to approach a difficult professional conversation with a supervisor or mentor? We can help you craft a conversation strategy.
- Are you unsure whether you’ll go into private practice or residency? Academia or industry? Research, teaching, or the clinic? The OCPD offers workshops and one-on-one consultations to help you find the career path that’s right for you.
Where to find us?
The main OCPD office is located in the lobby of the Medical Sciences Building on the Parnassus Campus, Room S-140. We also have an office at Mission Bay, on the third floor of the Community Center. You can call (415-476-4986) or e-mail (email@example.com) to make an appointment. In the meantime, check our extensive Web site (http://career.ucsf.edu/). It describes our programs and services for each school and specialty, has links to a detailed calendar of OCPD-sponsored events, and gives you access to a wide collection of annotated samples—residency letters, cover letters, CVs and resumes, interview questions—to help you prepare for your next move.
Who are we?
Our unique staff includes professionals and support staff with dozens of years of combined experience working with scientists and health professionals as they prepare for careers rich in scholarship, leadership, and discovery. We know how to help you succeed at UCSF and beyond!
Seminars and workshops
Throughout the year, OCPD will be offering seminars, workshops and events for students and postdocs from each of the UCSF schools. For a full listing, visit:
http://career.ucsf.edu and click on “View Calendar.”
Note: The OCPD serves not only students but also postdoctoral and clinical researchers. Our one-on-one consultations are free and confidential. Most events are free; some require a small fee.
Telephone: (415) 476-4986