Justin Becerra

Justin Becerra: Candidate for Vice President, Student Affairs

Thursday, March 14, 2013

As an active member of the UCSF Dental School community, I am continually looking for new ways to become involved in the day-to-day workings of the UCSF community. To date, one of my most important positions is held with the Student Health Committee, where I hold the title of Dental School Representative.

My petition to hold the position of Vice President of Student Affairs stems directly from this position, as it will serve to enhance my abilities within this vital student group, by granting me true voting power and the ability to work not only with the UCSF community but with the entire UC system. This voting power will allow me to use my 18 months of experience on this board to better the health care initiatives and health insurance plans granted to students under the UC SHIP program.

However, this is not my only goal. I also plan to work exclusively on the duties held by the ASUC Student Affairs representative. Luckily, I am married to a wonderful woman who, for seven years, has worked for Starwood Hotels, and specifically, for two years at the Westin St. Francis Hotel. As many of you are likely aware, this is the traditional venue for the UCSF annual Formal. It is my intention to use the relationships I have built with the managers and coordinators at this venue to create the most memorable UCSF Formal yet.

Furthermore, as an active community leader, I have a great deal of experience in organizing and implementing student activities. I intend to use this experience for two further events. Firstly, I intend to continue with the traditions of our school by hosting an annual Incoming Student BBQ, which will allow first-year students from every school to socialize in the first weeks of class and become comfortable with their transition into UCSF.

Secondly, it is my intention to organize and oversee a 5k/10k run for all of the schools at UCSF. In my experience, friendly competition is one of the best ways to create and strengthen bonds between people. In the last year, I have had the privilege of organizing events such as these, and I vow to use the experience I have gained, and the wisdom of others in the UCSF community, to create a new, memorable and enriching event for our student body.

It is my hope that, together, we can continue the fine traditions that make our school the finest of its kind in the nation. By voting for me, I can promise you without reservation that I will work tirelessly in my capacity to oversee and implement my proposed events and, in addition, I will work to strengthen our community by finding innovative ways to improve our student health care plans.

As a final caveat, many of you are likely aware of the increasing concerns surrounding the state of the UC SHIP student health insurance program. It has recently been made public by our committee that the current plan is running a S54 million deficit. This is due, in part, to overuse of benefits by a handful of UC campuses with inadequate premiums to justify this utilization.

By holding an ASUC position, I will be able to use my extensive experience to find ways to keep our premiums to a minimum while retaining many, if not all, of our current benefits. A vote for me is, in a way, a vote for lower tuition and greater health care benefits for all.

I wish to thank you for taking the time to read my petition, and I look forward to the opportunity to serve as an integral member of our community. If you have any questions for me regarding the events that I have proposed or the state of affairs of the UC SHIP insurance program, please do not hesitate to contact me directly,