humans

Humans of UCSF: Life Journey

Monday, November 13, 2017

“I was born and raised in Pakistan, but my wanderlust and my pursuit of higher education brought me to the U.S. after high school, all by myself. I landed in Houston, Texas where I did my B.S. in Biology.

The journey from when I landed in U.S. to the day I got that diploma in my hands was a rather difficult one that required me to work 55 to 60 hours per week on average while going to school full-time, and one that would need pages to document.

However, with all the hardships, eventually came the glory of getting accepted into UCSF Dental School. For the third time in my life, I was starting out in a different city. I’ve loved experiencing every bit of this city as well as my time at UCSF.

It’s not just the quality education I have received thus far, but also the amazing friendships I have made here. It was these friends who convinced me to perform at the Diwali celebration and I am glad that I was able to share my love for singing with my friends and colleagues.

I find it amazing how being in an educational institution that values diversity brought us all together to spread happiness and continues to do so, be it for Diwali, Christmas or Eid.

I am grateful that my journey landed me at UCSF and I get to be a part of this peace-loving community.”

Rafiah Khan

Third year dentistry student