editors_website

Introducing Synapse's New Editors-In-Chief

Monday, September 9, 2019

Synapse is pleased to introduce two new leaders who are taking the helm of the 65-year-old UCSF student news outlet this year. Meet our new Co-Editors-In-Chief Jihee Yoon and Genesis Vasconez.

All contributors welcome

By Jihee Yoon

It is with great excitement that I introduce myself as one of the co-editors-in-chief of Synapse,your one and only student-run source into the happenings at UCSF!

As some of you know, I’m a second year DDS/PhD student in the Oral and Craniofacial Sciences program.

Regardless of which professional school or graduate program you’re part of or where you’re at in your training, one thing that remains the same for everyone is the importance of knowing what’s going on around you.

That’s where Synapse comes in.

As a news outlet run independently by students for students, Synapse is a great platform for students to share their interests, voice their opinions, and stay connected with the UCSF community.

Your voice is your most powerful asset, and we encourage you to make your voices heard through Synapse. You don’t have to be a Pulitzer Prize winner to contribute — we welcome eager writers and photographers at any level to pitch stories they want to tell.

So reach out to us at synapse@ucsf.edu or drop by at our biweekly editorial meetings. We’d all love to hear what you have to say!

Eager for the opportunity
By Genesis Vasconez

Hello, I am honored to be one of the new Co-Editors-in-Chief of Synapse for the upcoming 2019-2020 academic year, along with Jihee.

With a background in Nursing, Psychology, Biology and Chemistry I hope to bring a dynamic journalistic approach to this organization. Currently I am in my last year of the Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program here at UCSF.

My desire to be a part of synapse came from wanting to grow as both a journalistic writer as well as a leader in the story development process; outside of healthcare, my passion lies in reading and writing.

I appreciate what the newspaper stands for as being a completely independent student run outlet where students can voice controversial topics openly. I look forward to getting to learn new skills here at Synapse while further exploring the interests of our UCSF community.

Joining synapse is such a wonderful opportunity!

I am excited to see where this journey leads and invite you all to join us at our bi-weekly editorial meeting. Find the schedule on our website here.